Using Tracers for Quality Improvement
Give staff the knowledge they need to conduct tracers in-house and drive quality improvement
Virtual capacity building session, 3 sessions – 2 to 3 hours each. Availability varies by jurisdiction.
Facilitated by an experienced Accreditation Canada Surveyor, this session provides Accreditation Coordinators and other staff with a proven step-by-step approach to planning and conducting their own tracers
Build internal assessment capacity
Identify strengths and opportunities for improvement
Prepare for your upcoming survey
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Describe the rationale and purpose of the tracer approach
- Plan a tracer to assess consistency, quality and safety of care, services and processes
- Develop effective question lines
- Conduct tracers through role playing to assess the quality of processes and care in different environments
- Maximize interaction during tracers through using effective communication approaches and techniques
- Analyze and report tracer observations and results
- Take actions on opportunities for improvement
What is a tracer?
A tracer is a method used to evaluate organizations against accreditation standards. It follows the path of a patient or process, asking questions and making observations to determine if the standards are met.
- Overview of accreditation standards and people-centred care
- Engaging staff during accreditation
- The survey and how tracers are used
- Clinical tracers vs. administrative tracers
- Planning mock tracers
- Conducting mock tracers
- Recording, analyzing and reporting
“I appreciated the mix between the theoretical and practical methods that the facilitator showed us. The mock tracer we performed really cemented the process in my head and I now feel much more comfortable as we prepare for our upcoming survey.”
– Brenda Vollmer, Director, Planning and Project Management Office, Grand River Hospital
Find out more
Speak with a Training & Education Advisor today to find out if Using Tracers for Quality Improvement is right for you. Fill out the form below or call us at +1 613 738 3800.