Stand out as a leader in stroke care
A highly specialized quality improvement program developed in partnership with the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
Accreditation Canada’s Stroke Distinction program follows standards based on the nationally-recognized Canadian Stroke Best Practice Recommendations. It also includes the use of stroke-specific protocols, client and family education and an excellence and innovation project.
The program is available to organizations and networks that provide acute and/or inpatient rehabilitation services and have a dedicated stroke services program or unit.
Enhance client experience and improve outcomes
Mitigate risk and increase efficiency
Improve teamwork & communication
How it works
Stroke Distinction takes organizations through a repeating four-year assessment cycle:
- Research & enroll – Learn about the program, educate your organization on its benefits and once ready, and sign up for the program.
- Self-assess – See where you stand compared to the Stroke Distinction standards, protocols, indicator thresholds and client and family education requirements.
- Work towards requirements – Begin collecting performance indicator data and address gaps in order to meet the program requirements. Select and execute your Excellence and Innovation project.
- On-site survey – Undergo an evaluation by peer experts to verify your organization meets the program requirements and to identify areas for improvement.
- Decision & award – After a successful survey, your organization receives Distinction Status. Your organization will receive its official Distinction certificate and be recognized at the next Canadian Stroke Congress.
- Monitor & control – Continuously monitor your organization’s performance against the evidence-informed program requirements and make improvements.
Recent updates to the program
In 2020, Stroke Distinction was updated to reflect developments in stroke care and to support organizations with better tools. These updates include:
- Acute Services standards, Inpatient Stroke Rehabilitation Services standards and Integrated Systems standards
- Performance indicators, targets and submission/review process
- Client portal
Learn more about Stroke Distinction
Find out why University Health Network, Alberta Health Services, Centre Hospitalier de l’Université de Montreal, Health PEI, Hamilton Health Sciences and others have chosen to take the extra step towards stroke excellence.
Speak with a Stroke Distinction Advisor today to find out if the program is right for you. They will provide you with the Stroke Distinction information package, containing complete program details for your evaluation. Fill out the form below or call us at +1 613 738 3800.
“Stroke Distinction has provided a framework to raise the quality of care and standards for stroke rehabilitation, aligning resources to key priority areas for improvement”
Joanne Zee, University Health Network – Toronto Rehab